So, the spare wheel bracket, initially flimsy, is now stamped from a thicker sheet. A lot of similar minor improvements have already been made, but we will not discount the invaluable experience of Russian motorists, which contributes to the improvement of technology.
We decided to contribute to this fascinating business - we hope that some of our notions will interest both car owners and factory specialists.
We started with the engine compartment. The gap between the hood and the radiator lining is now much smaller than on the "fields" two years ago. Seals glued to the hood above the headlights have become more effective in trapping dirt. But if you look closely, we will find a lot of slots-loopholes through which it still penetrates into the engine compartment. To close them, we remove the radiator lining and lay the seal - a roll of foamed polyethylene (photo 1), which is very popular among builders. The material is not afraid of moisture, does not rot.
Another trick: on the back of the grille near the hood lock, a small screen was made to block the dirt another loophole - a cutout in the upper frame of the radiator (photo 2).
Putting the cladding in place, glued on the headlights and the upper edge of the cladding a self-adhesive sealant (photo 3). All materials from the nearest construction market - prices, by automotive standards, are cheap.
Now - about the power steering. No, we are not going to touch him. It pleases with reliability and well-chosen characteristics, but still it is necessary to control the liquid level from time to time. (Recall, we are talking about the green Pentosin CHF 11F fluid, which is incompatible with ATF!) The regular tank is mounted on the engine shield. Unscrewing his cork, even a tall man runs the risk of staining his clothes on the bumper or wing of the car. We moved the tank forward and placed it next to the air filter housing (photo 3, item 3). The regular bracket went into action with slight changes in place, and the hoses connecting the tank to the hydraulic system became much (18 and 40 cm respectively) shorter. With mass production, one can count on the tangible economic effect of such a “ratsu”.
Many foreign cars use a single compensation tank for hydraulic clutch and brake system. Indeed, in the event of a fluid leak, separate containers do not save: anyway, the machine needs to be repaired! With one tank it is easier to control both systems, besides - saving, and at the same time freeing up space under the hood … We did the same. For details of the operation in this issue, see the “We bring” section.
Now, between the air filter housing and the engine shield, a space has formed where the adsorber asks. The regular place of this hefty contraption is on the right mudguard, next to the expansion tank, but behind the adsorber there is a fuel filter that must be changed periodically. So, you have to remove, and then put the adsorber. Mechanics are strong guys: the adsorber mount screw was slightly pulled over - a crack in the plastic case. The indestructible smell of gasoline will appear in the cabin, but will the source be found in the service soon? After all, a crack is hardly noticeable.
In a new place (photo 4), the adsorber has a more relaxed life. For its installation, we used the previous bracket, although, having modified it a bit, sawed off the upper part with the mounting plate and made another. From below, the bracket was screwed to the side member, and on the side to the left mudguard. The rear support of the air filter housing did not allow optimal positioning of the adsorber - it was cut off and, shifted a few centimeters to the right, was soldered with a glue gun.
Regular hoses are now not enough for the adsorber - they bought additional ones, fitted them in place. The adsorber purge valve power wires also had to be lengthened.
Well, "a holy place does not happen empty!" Where there was an adsorber before, you can adapt, for example, a box for a considerable arsenal of tools. By the way, since January 2006 the fuel filter “moved” to the underbody, closer to the fuel tank. But moving the adsorber is even more seductive! Space is freed up more. Here (photo 5) you see one more find: an additional electric pump was inserted into the main tank with washer fluid and connected to the steering column switch. The hose was pulled through the entire cabin to the back door, and it was freed from the excess tank.
The next revision is in the cabin (photo 6). Sun visors are trimmed and neatly soldered - now they do not interfere with the setup of a large spherical mirror, which we specially installed to improve the visibility of the “rear hemisphere”. No matter how curious this sounds, the mirror manufacturer could not be identified, but most importantly, it performs its functions perfectly.